Vancouver Olympics

I wasn’t excited for the Olympics.

My sister thought I was crazy. “The Olympics will be here in Vancouver and you’re not excited?”

I wasn’t!

It was weird because I usually would always be enthusiastic about any kind of celebration and all of the past Olympics, yet I wasn’t very worked up about the Olympics in Vancouver.

I used to figure skate so I would watch every minute of the pairs, dances, and singles figure skating events and would feel the exhilaration and the nervous excitement in my own living room. Every time a jump was to be executed, I would feel myself tense and hold my breath when the skaters were airborne and either wince if the landing was wobbly, gasp if the athlete fell, or sigh with relief if it was a graceful landing glide. I loved every second of it, but after Salt Lake, I seemed to forget about the Olympics until now.

I felt really removed from the Vancouver 2010 excitement. Maybe it was because I lived so far away from downtown and haven’t really been down there to feel the pooling thrill in the air.Maybe it was because I really didn’t agree with some of the things the VANOC were doing to ensure the Olympics would go as they wanted it to.

On Friday, I missed the first half of the opening ceremony so when I turned on the TV in our home theatre in the basement, the Sacred Grove was just starting. It had a startling and ethereal quality that shone from the big screen in the dark and suddenly, I was thrilled. I was ready for the Olympics!

Overall, I enjoyed the opening ceremonies. I suppose people would say that it was just all one big stereotype, but I think it’s just highlighting the most entertaining and “representative” parts of Canada. The fiddling made me feel fiery and ready to get up and tap dance along with the dancers. The lighting and projecting effects were timed perfectly and designed artistically, especially in the Who Has Seen the Wind. I was rather impressed with the Spring Section. The dancers in the that number represented Canada as how I see our country as. There’s not a lot of people, but a lot of space and unending nature. Everyone is doing their own thing, yet dancing to the same song. The costumes were all different from the others and all the dancers looked very very tiny compared to the trees and earth.

I thought the slam poetry performed by and written by Koyczan showed the world what Canada really was. I remember the part when he talks about how Canadians are really polite. Laughing, I remembered when I had a conversation with a friend about how Canadians are over-polite, like saying sorry even if it’s someone else who bumps into us, not us into them.

I saw the replay of the nations entering and the Hymn of the North with the huge puppet polar bear. It made me squeal. They got a huge, sparkly, translucent polar bear in there! (since we do ride them to school….)

This time, I found that I watch all of the sports instead of just figure skating. Though I don’t have tickets to any events, I’ll be going downtown next week to check out the festivities and be part of the Olympic history.

It’ll be interesting to walk down the street and not understand half of the people passing by! GO CANADA!

One thought on “Vancouver Olympics

1. Pingback: Andrew B. Watt’s Essay Encouragement | Mr. Jackson's Blogosphere